Friday, September 8, 2017

Raspberry Framboise Pound Cake


WOW it sure has been a minute since I've posted anything here. I've neglected this blog long enough, and it's about time I bring it back to life. 

It's been about 3 weeks since school has started, but it honestly feels like months have passed. I mean, a midterm right after Labor Day weekend? I'm still here coming to terms with the fact that summer is over. But you know what that means. FALL PUMPKIN SWEATERS COLD SNUGGLY HOLIDAY SPIRIT BAKING FOOD YESYESYES

Got a bit carried away there lol. Anyway, after moving into an actual apartment for the first time, I've been feeling more of a life shock than my freshman year. Of course I missed home and my parents last year too, but it hits a lil harder this year for some reason. I think it might be because I actually have to somewhat adult this year, with cooking my own food, doing my own dishes. It's still super fun to cook, but I guess there's just some kind of lonely element to making food for just yourself. I almost cried talking to my parents on the phone earlier today, even though we were laughing and making fun of my dad lol. Maybe my time of the month is coming, my emotions have been wack. 

Onto something more happy! Soooo basically I'm living my dream life and living right above TRADER JOE'S. And as an extra bonus, Target. As someone who gets happier just walking down the aisles of TJ's, it's pretty surreal and I'm loving it. 

Because I now have a full kitchen and oven to use, I've committed myself to post regularly! I'm gonna try to do weekly, but we'll see how that goes. I'm also thinking of doing a weekly Trader Joe's review, gotta think of a cute name for it though.


Onto the actual point of this post! So I actually made this cake way back in May of last year for Mother's Day, but the stupid lil procastinator was just too lazy to post about it. But, definitely one of the best things I've baked, I gotta say. It has the perfect crumb, denser than a regular cake, but melt-in-your-mouth soft at the same time. The tartness of the raspberry jam balances out the sweetness perfectly, and ooh it's just a heavenly bite. 

Make one last hurrah for summer with this bright, dainty cake! My body is ready for all the pumpkin n spice n everything nice.

{some pics of the Mother's Day spread}






Recipe
Makes 1 cake (as pictured)

Raspberry Jam
120 g raspberries
40 g granulated sugar
2 T lemon juice

Pound Cake
2 eggs
100 g granulated sugar
140 g cake flour (or 120 g AP flour)
120 g melted butter
16 g raspberry liqueur (optional)
raspberries and pistachios for garnish

Glaze
60 g powdered sugar
1 T lemon juice
1 tsp water
Lime zest

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper. If you have a narrow and long cake tin, you might want to halve the recipe.
2) Over a double boiler, whip eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, ivory in color. Add raspberry liqueur if using.
3) Remove bowl from heat. Add in sifted flour. Add butter in sections, mixing in between.
4) Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Evenly place raspberries (make sure they're dry) in the middle of the pan. Pour rest of the batter into the pan.
5) Bake for about 20-25 minutes. It's done when the top is light brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

6) In the meantime, time to make the raspberry jam/glaze! Honestly the star of the show.
7) Over medium heat, add berries and sugar to a pot. When the mixture starts bubbling, add lemon juice. Boil again, until jam-like consistency. 

8) When the cake is done, cut off the edges to make it into a shape of your liking.
9) Slather it in the beautiful raspberry glaze.
10) Mix together the ingredients for the powdered sugar glaze. Pour over the cake
11) Garnish with lime zest and the prettiest raspberries you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment