Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Foodie Adventures: Great Maple {San Diego}


Currently writing this post on the plane to Seattle. Feeling weirdly adultish typing on my laptop up in the clouds. 
Enough about my feelings and more about the glorious place that is Great Maple. Summer means going to all the eateries saved throughout the year, and my friends and I started it all off with a bang at Great Maple. Oh man, the feelings I have for this place. How joyous, how excited, how pleased they made my taste buds. Seriously though, the gastronomic experience at this place is beyond anything you can imagine. Even with all the hype, I was blown away by simply how delicious everything was.



I can’t go on without first talking about the maple bacon donuts. Guys. No words can justify the absolute perfection of these fried morsels of salty sweet gold. Seriously one of the best things I have put in my mouth. And I’ve had plenty of delicious things in my mouth. But this donut- warm, freshly fried (hot to the touch), freshly glazed, bits of bacon, fluffy doughy interior- my entire body got chills the moment I bit into this piece of heaven. Everything just worked so well together. I haven’t had many maple bacon flavored things in my life, but this donut certainly set my standards way up there. I can go on and on about each component of this donut. The glaze, first of all, was so freaking good that I was scraping off the excess glaze that had dripped onto the plate. And I’m not even a huge frosting/glaze person. The sweetness was just right, not cloyingly sweet like many glazes can be. The maple flavor was so pure and real- you could taste the quality of the maple syrup that was used. And the saltiness of the bacon combined with this glaze, oh heavens above, I feel lightheaded with pleasure just thinking about it. The light and fluffy yet chewy and doughy interior could not have been a better vessel for all these flavors. In one bite you get carby fried satisfaction, salty flavorful bacon bits, and a rich, sweet, maple flavor to bring it all together. What more could one ask for?



{I know, slightly NSFW, I apologize}

Now the actual breakfast entrees we ate. I ordered the Louisiana Purchase- complete with a gigantic house baked English popover, poached eggs topped with tarragon hollandaise cream, Pee Wee herbed potatoes, Andouille sausage, crispy rock shrimp, mustard greens, sweet onions, and smoked paprika. I know. Sounds pretty incredible. Even more incredible in your mouth. Just like the maple bacon donut, everything worked so well together. All the textures and flavors blended together harmoniously to create one hell of a sexy experience in my mouth. I know that sounded so wrong, but I can’t help it. It was that good. The runny yolk from the egg with the hollandaise added the creaminess, the mustard greens and sweet onions added the flavorful veg, the popover added the necessary carby chew, and the crispy rock shrimp added the perfect crunch and meaty flavor to the ensemble. Okay, let’s just give a little spotlight on the shrimp. Little fried nuggets of gold from the sea- so crisp and crunchy on the outside, bursting with flavor and tender flesh on the inside. My mouth is salivating just thinking about that yummy shrimp.



My two friends ordered the scramble melts- with market seasonal zucchini, and the other with hardwood smoked bacon. The scramble melts serve a scramble omelette type dish in a cute mini casserole pan, and potatoes, fruit, and bread. The zucchini melt had sundried tomatoes, caramelized onions, parsley, and goat cheese in the eggs. I only had a couple bites of this, but I remember it being delicious and that's all that you need to know at the end of the day. I do remember that the goat cheese taste was pretty prominent, so if you're not a goat cheese fanatic like me maybe go for another dish. The hardwood smoked bacon had all the classic breakfast flavors- bacon, avocado, basil, cherry tomatoes, and some good 'ol mozz. How can you go wrong? 


If you didn't know already, I had a great experience at Great Maple. It's quite busy seeing that it's such a popular place, so I would recommend making a reservation if you can instead of waiting around and staring at other people's food like we did. If you have time afterwards, the nearby Cat Cafe is a great place to let your stomach digest and your soul be calmed by the cuteness of cats. 


The Great Maple
1451 Washington Street 
San Diego, CA 92103

The Cat Café
472 3rd Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101

No comments:

Post a Comment